The FL511 system is the state’s official source for traffic and travel information. The Florida Department of Transportation’s (FDOT) Florida 511 (FL511) Advanced Traveler Information System (ATIS) provides information on congestion events, crashes, construction and maintenance activities; and travel times on all interstates and toll facilities as well as several other major Florida routes, so that drivers can make better choices about their travel plans. This information service is accessible by mobile app, a website in English and Spanish, Twitter messages, Facebook, Instagram, text alerts and more.
FL511 provides camera snapshots on major Florida roads, so users can see road conditions throughout the state. The goal is to provide information about current conditions to keep traffic moving safely and efficiently. To accomplish its goal, FL511 offers the latest information on transportation services and conditions throughout Florida, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Before heading out, drivers should check the FL511 App or interactive road map on FL511.com for important traffic information and incident alerts. Once on the road, have a passenger check to avoid using a phone while behind the wheel. Passengers can also view roadway camera snapshots showing current driving conditions on their route. Use the Drive Mode and the voice interaction feature and speak a request to your destination. The FL511 Mobile App features an interactive map showing traffic congestion, incidents, camera snapshots and more, on roads around the user’s location.
The FL511 App, website, and Twitter feeds provide information on Florida’s interstates, toll roads and other major metropolitan roadways, allowing drivers to avoid unnecessary delays, as well as receive updates on accidents, congestion, construction and more. Travelers can follow FL511 on 13 Twitter handles, on Facebook @FL511, and Instagram @Florida_511.
The public information service is accessible by mobile app, website, and Twitter. But the goal is the same: To provide information about current conditions to keep traffic moving safely and efficiently. To accomplish its goal, FL511 offers the latest information on transportation services and conditions throughout Florida, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Florida residents and visitors are encouraged to check FL511 for current traffic conditions before leaving, so they can change their departure time or choose a different route with fewer delays. In addition, when motorists use FL511 services to avoid a congested accident scene, emergency responders can reach their destinations and work the scene more easily.
Data and information for the state’s FL511 Advanced Traveler Information System (ATIS) comes primarily from FDOT via sensors and cameras installed along Florida’s roadways. This data is captured by the state’s Advanced Transportation Management System (ATMS) software, SunGuide, and sent to FL511 for use on the website, mobile app and Twitter. FDOT also receives incident data from Road Rangers, Florida Highway Patrol, Waze and city and county law enforcement departments. Weather data is provided by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
Benefits and Features
The Florida 511 system covers all interstate roads, most tollways and many major metropolitan roads. In addition to increasing safety and mobility while decreasing stress, its benefits include:
- Door-to-door travel routes, travel times, incidents, congestion, construction and more information on some platforms
- Website information available in English and Spanish
- My Cameras feature allows users to create a list of FL511.com traffic cameras for a personalized snapshot look at conditions along their route
- Personalized routes and notifications after creating an account
- Truck parking locations and availability
- Road Weather Alerts
- Weather Radar
- Weather Forecasts
- Message Signs
- Congestions information
- Ability to display road closures and detour routes on the map
- Traffic Speeds (Users can see current flow of traffic)
- Construction (Users can see planned constructions ahead)
- FL511 provides traffic information an average of 81,000 times each day.
- The FL511 mobile app, available free on Google Play and the Apple App Store, averages 106,000 sessions each month, and drivers have checked their apps almost 7 million times since FDOT first launched the Apple App in 2012.
- FL511.com averages 108,000 visitors each month, 13 million visitors since its original launch.
- FDOT distributes traffic alerts via statewide, regional or roadway-specific Twitter accounts, reaching a monthly audience of nearly 1.5 million.
Embed the Florida 511 Statewide Interactive Road Map on Your Website
You can insert the Florida 511 statewide interactive road map from the FL511.com home page, or a specific region of the map, as a traffic information feature on your website. You also can customize the information in the Map Legend by selecting which layer options (e.g., Traffic Speeds, Construction, Closures, etc.) will be visible to users. To learn how, visit the Florida 511 Embed Tool for website developers.
Travel Smart with the Florida 511 Mobile App – Connect. Know. Go.